Right Click Block

Monday, January 10, 2011

Yellow Ribbons

image source
We've only been here for a little over five months, but I've noticed a few families welcoming home deployed daddies/spouses.  Walking around the neighborhood, it's usually quite obvious; the families do a rockin' job decorating with signs, balloons, and yellow ribbons.

I had to ask Jesse about the yellow ribbons.  I didn't know their story... and I'd thought to share it with you, but I forgot until now.  Our next door neighbor has a yellow ribbon tied outside their house around their porch post.  And they have a sign in the window with red, white, and blue balloons everywhere.  Daddy's coming home.

image source
The yellow ribbons are to welcome home your spouse from deployment.  No one really knows the exact origins of why, but I found this Civil War song:
Around her hair she wore a yellow ribbon
She wore it in the springtime
In the merry month of May
And if you ask her why the heck she wore it
She wore it for her soldier who was far far away.  source

image source
That website also mentions stories of men writing that they were to return home soon and asking their women to tie yellow ribbons around trees, porches, etc... the remind them of what was theirs.  It appears to be a long standing tradition to display a yellow ribbon while waiting for the safe return of a loved one who is far away.   source 

Someday... sniff... I might have to... sniff... display a yellow ribbon of my own.  In the meantime I'm going to go enjoy the last few minutes of the weekend with My Love before we head to bed.

2 comments:

  1. Then there's the Tony Orlando song from the 70's "Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'round the ole oak tree" - I'm pretty sure the guy was coming home from prison (not deployed). But that's what I always think of when I see the yellow ribbons.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3ouKAhxZbQ&feature=related
    (this version is "newer" - with lyrics)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBL2kzKg4nY
    (this is "old school" - back in the day)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I just listened to it... nice. Yep, it's for anyone who's away for any length of time I guess... jail included ;o) Though I read it's been popular for deployments since 9/11

    ReplyDelete