Right Click Block

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Whole30 Wednesday: Homemade Mayo and Avocado Dressing


Just about a week till our Whole30 experience comes to an end!  Not that I'm counting down or anything ;o)

So one way that I've been surviving this insane amount of veggies is by making this yummy avocado dressing about once a week.  I got it from the book, but they got it from somewhere else.  And I've also tweaked it to my liking.  


You need mayo for it.  Yes, mayo is Whole30-approved.  But it has to be olive oil mayo.  And without strange additives/preservatives.  Read: not from the store.  

Luckily for you I have an easy-peasy recipe that's lacto-fermented!  (And it won't explode, it'll just give you an extra dose of enzymes.)

Now, as it uses raw eggs, you should try to buy the freshest eggs possible.  From a farm or organic or whatever you can. But I've used regular old conventional eggs before with no problem.  There's just less nutrients in those suckers.  

You will also need whey.  You don't need it, but it takes the shelf life from 2 weeks to several months.  Plus it increases the enzyme content, making your egg salad, tuna salad, avocado chicken salad, and avocado dressing more nutritious.  


Olive Oil Mayo
From Nourishing Traditions

1 whole egg, at room temperature
1 egg yolk, at room temperature
1 teaspoon dijon-type mustard
1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon whey, optional
3/4-1 cup extra virgin olive oil (or sunflower oil)
generous pinch of sea salt

In your food processor (or in a bowl if using an immersion blender , like I do!) combine the egg, egg yolk, mustard, salt, lemon juice, and whey.  Process until blended, then in a slow steady stream add the oil with the blender still running.  Taste and check for seasoning.  I usually start with just 3/4 C oil... and I often need more lemon and salt for my taste.

If you have added whey, let the mayonnaise sit at room temperature, well covered, for 7 hours before refrigerating. Then store in the fridge for several months (or 2 weeks without whey)  If you use whey it will also be a little thicker, and continue to thicken over time.

It definitely doesn't taste like Hellmann's, but that's not really what we're going for here... we're going for delicious AND nutritious.  So if you just relax and broaden your mind a little you'll be able to handle it.  The mayo isn't as thick as conventional stuff, and it has a bit of an olive oil flavor.  So we don't prefer it to stand alone (on a sandwich) but it's great mixed into things.  Deviled eggs here we come!  Oh, and avocado dressing!


This dressing is so fast and easy.  Which is good, because it doesn't taste as good leftover so you kinda have to make it in small batches and gobble it up within 24 hours.  But the flavor is definitely best right away.

Creamy Avocado Dressing

1 avocado
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/4 cup olive oil mayo
small garlic clove, crushed
fresh cilantro, to taste
2 tablespoons water
salt, to taste

Blend all ingredients until smooth!  See?  Easy.  Now, if you're like me, then "fresh cilantro, to taste" means a huge hand full.  You can be like me if you want.  Or if you're like Jesse, who doesn't particularly LOVE cilantro, you can use less.

Also don't be like me and think more is better in the lime juice department.  It's not.

The original recipe calls for a few pickled jalapeno rings in there before you blend.  Sounds interesting, but I haven't tried it, yet.


It's delicious on any salad, but specifically taco salad with the Pioneer Woman's pico de gallo. And of course it's yummy as a dip for just about any raw veggie you can think of!

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. YUM! I'm drooling on my phone. Congrats on your last week! I'm super inspired. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait for it to be done. But it has been a good experience as far as diets go I suppose. So I shouldn't complain too much!

      Delete
  2. will have to try this- the photos make it look scrumptious! x0x0x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And they really do taste good. Let me know how you like it!

      Delete