Right Click Block

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Definitions

APO:  Army Post Office

AE:  Armed Forces Europe

This is neat.  In order to help get mail overseas to military personnel and their families stationed there, the USPS and Department of Defense worked out this neat system.  Basically, we can have things shipped to a stateside address, which is also called our APO.  It will go to New York City, where all main destined for AE goes.  Then they'll ship it to us in Germany!

I'm still trying to figure out exactly how this works... but I guess you don't have to pay for the overseas shipping.  So, if I order something online (which I do a lot these days) then I'll have it sent to my APO address and only have to pay that shipping cost.  The rest is covered by the military.  SWEET! 

But we'll also have a post office box on the base in Sembach where all our mail will be forwarded.  And technically we'll have a German address as well, because we'll be living off base. 

Confused yet?  Good, me too! ;o) 

2 comments:

  1. So...how long do you think it will take you to get your mail? If I sent you a Christmas card, would you get it in July? That would be a fun treat...Christmas all year long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeeeah I'm guessing it'll take things a bit longer than usual to get to us! Send me an ecard instead ;o)

    ReplyDelete