Right Click Block

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Quick Snack: Peanut Butter Balls


The simple peanut butter ball.  So easy.  So versatile.  So yummy.  Definitely husband approved.  In fact, these are one of his favorite homemade snacks these days.

I think the idea is pretty much as old as sin... I've seen it around numerous places.  But I finally decided to try it.  Maybe it finally clicked for me, after five years of watching my husband in munchy-mode go to the fridge for a spoonful of peanut butter.  Maybe he'd like a peanut-buttery snack food instead?

All I do is throw a bunch of ingredients in a bowl.  So this "recipe" is pretty fluid.  But just for kicks I'll write it out for ya:

Jessica's Peanut Butter Balls
Two BIG globs of peanut butter
A long squirt of honey
A few shakes of old fashioned oats
A scoop or two of coconut, raisins, chocolate chips, chopped nuts, etc.  (Any or all of the above... or other add ins if you feel so inclined!)
A small scoop of protein powder (we happen to have chocolate in the house)

Mixy mixy all that goodness and then get your storage containers ready... because I finish mixing with my hands and then roll and pop 'em right into the container.  So it's kind of messy.  Just mix and make sure everything comes together okay.  If you don't think you're going to be able to form it into balls add some more honey or peanut butter.  Then roll into small balls and BOOM!  Instant snack!

I'm on the fence about how I feel about these as a "healthy" snack.  I think I'm leaning towards putting it more in the compromise foods category.  For a few reasons...  first because of the uncooked oats in it.  I think it really helps hold the recipe together and give it some substance.  But some traditional foodies think that eating uncooked grains (and unsoaked grains for that matter) is really tough on your tummy.  As in, you can't digest it well.

Then there's the issue of the sweetened coconut.  If I could find a cheap source of bulk unsweetened coconut I would gladly buy it... but the small packages from the Commissary are for sure processed and therefore a "treat" only.  In my opinion... at least for the girls and I ;o)

Speaking of the girls and I, we don't eat a lot of chocolate chips, either.

Or processed and totally-foreign-who-knows-what's-really-in-there-protein powder... which I feel really helps make them less sticky and Jesse really wants in there for the added umph.  Even though I'm hesitant about using it cause I don't know what's in it.  But like I said, this is a great snack for My Love.  And try as I might he is just not going to be at the same level of crunchy as I am... yet.

I'm all for compromises.  Especially if I can have something ready to go for his work lunches or for his snack urges.

PS: keep 'em in the fridge.

4 comments:

  1. Yum. I don't know what the shipping (timing and cost) is to Germany but bulkfoods.com sells bulk packages (starting at 5 pounds for 27 dollars) of unsweetened coconut. I'm not sure if you would call that cheap...as I'm not right up to date on the retail and wholesale value of coconut these days....but it sounds good to me. :) The other thing about bulk foods is that they do international military shipping to the APO. Hahaha, anyway--just my research on the matter. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet! Thanks for checking into that for me. I'll definitely look into bulkfoods.com. YAY!

      Delete
  2. Real peanut butter has got to be available on the economy, right?

    also, you could soak and then dry your grains if you had a dehydrator. I don't, but I hear it works.

    I've finally found my favorite LARA bar knockoff, so convenient for an on-the-go snack. Might have to try a pb version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could make Lara bar fakes but my food processor is kaput :o( And I definitely want a dehydrator someday. And yeah they surely have real peanut butter... but I don't buy many items on the economy that I can't read the label to be sure. Since I can get pb with a clean ingredient list at the commi (just peanuts and salt = real, right?) then I'm okay with that.

      Delete