Right Click Block

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Easy Portable Recipe | Frozen Breakfast Burritos



Behold, the humble breakfast burrito. 

A simple way to send My Love to work with something decently healthy every shift.

He loves them so much that he's practically begged me not to mess with them. (What, me? Experiment with a recipe? NEVER!)

I make them pretty much every week, then pop them in the freezer and know that I have at least one thing on hand for him to toss in his bag for work. Or if I'm having a marathon editing session and my tummy starts growling for something spicy. 







Jessica's Easy Frozen Breakfast Burritos

3 bell peppers, any variety
1 large onion
red pepper flakes, to taste
chili powder, to taste
cayenne pepper, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup pre-cooked meat of your choice (bacon, sausage, even chicken)
1 dozen eggs
large tortillas (whole wheat hold up the the freezing/thawing process better. Homemade if you're feeling ambitious this week - which is NOT me lately)
2 cups shredded cheese, any variety (we like cheddar) 

Finely dice peppers and onion and saute with seasonings until tender. Add meat and eggs and reduce the heat to medium-low. That's the trick for keeping my stainless steel pan from being stuck with a layer of eggs - low heat and LOTS of butter! Cook the eggs, stirring occasionally. Set the tortillas out on the clean counter with a bit of shredded cheese in the middle. Add your egg mixture and roll the tortillas into burritos!

Makes about 8-12, depending on how full you like them. 

Wrap them in foil and put them directly in the freezer, or in the fridge if they'll be eaten within a few days. Jesse actually likes them room temperature so he will pull them out of the freezer the day before he wants to eat them, to thaw. I will pop them directly from the freezer to the oven to heat up. 




The whole process takes about an hour. And I'm usually listening to good music and doing other things in the kitchen anyways, like dishes or dinner prep, so it's really not a bad gig.

If you're looking for some easy portable food to make ahead, these babies are it! We've even eaten them in the car on the beginning of road trips! And I sometimes make a batch for a friend who is going through a tough time or just had a baby.

So many possible uses for this easy frozen breakfast burrito recipe! 

Do you make frozen portable food? What's your favorite recipe? I'm always on the hunt for new ideas for the family to eat on the go!

3 comments:

  1. Jessica, I'm not a spice girl, but those photos make your dish look deeeelicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sarah, thanks for commenting! You could totally omit the spices and it would be super yummy with just cheese!

      Delete